Every year when tax time rolls around I ask myself whether or not I need a licensed Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or whether I can do the taxes myself. A few years back when I worked for one employer and earned an average income, the paperwork was easy. Nowadays, I work as an independent contractor. I’m not sure what my deductions and write-offs are, so I found myself looking for someone who offered Income Tax Services. walls and associates tax
After working with a local CPA, these are the top reasons I found to hire a professional for Income Tax services:
1. They know more about taxes than I do.
2. They helped me organize my receipts as well as set up a system to calculate mileage on my vehicle when used for work purposes.
3. As an independent contractor, I have to file estimated taxes. They helped me figure out what I owed and printed out vouchers along with the address of where to send my money.
4. Offered a safe and secure system to transmit documents on-line so I didn’t have to worry about the expense and safety of sending paperwork through the mail.
5. Were available to answer all the little questions I had.
6. Took the time to explain why certain things earned a deduction while others didn’t, so that I could be more prepared the following year.
7. Pointed out deductions I wasn’t aware of, saving me money.
8. Explained how the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit benefited me.
9. Got me $1,500 back on the Home Improvement Tax Credit.
10. Took away the anxiety of filing taxes.
Each person filing taxes has a unique situation and a good CPA understands that. Income Tax Services can be as simple as helping you fill out paperwork, or as complicated as helping you sort through owed back taxes, or understanding foreign tax laws for those who work overseas. Corporations have different needs than individuals. Being prepared before the tax deadline rolls around helps make income tax preparation a lot easier. Whether you’re filing for the first time, or your life circumstances have changed in the last year, I highly recommend using a professional, or at least setting up a consultation. Appointments can be done via Skype, on the phone or in person. For those with serving in the military, look for a CPA that offers a discount.